My husband saw some of our bananas were going ‘bad’ and I said, “What? Those are just perfect! Perfect for a delicious banana bread!” Nothing beats a good and tasty banana bread. You can easily enjoy this one guilt free! It’s gluten free, oil free, vegan, and naturally sweetened. I didn’t use oil in this recipe and instead substituted applesauce and it is definitely still moist! Enjoy a slice plain or with vegan butter! Whatever you choose, your taste buds will sure appreciate it!
1 1/3 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 large or 4 medium)
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
1/3 cup water or plant-based milk of choice
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups oat flour
chocolate chips, sliced banana, and/or chopped walnuts for topping (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pain with oil (I used coconut oil) and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mash the banana until almost smooth. Stir the wet ingredients (flaxseed, water, applesauce, maple syrup, and vanilla) into the banana until combined.
3. Stir the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon) into the wet ingredients. Stir until combined and until there are no flour patches seen in the mixture.
4. Transfer the mixture into the greased loaf pan and spread out evenly. Add your desired toppings.
5. Bake the loaf uncovered for 45-55 minutes (I baked mine for 48, but your times may vary), until lightly golden and firm on top. The top of the loaf should slowly spring back when touched.
6. Place the loaf pan on a cooling rack for 30 minutes. Then, slide a knife around the loaf to loosen it and gently remove it from the pan, placing it directly on the cooling rack until completely cooled.
7. Slice the loaf once cooled. Add your favorite banana bread toppings! I love to eat it just plain but my husband finds adding vegan butter to it quite delicious. The loaf will keep in the fridge tightly wrapped for 3-4 days, or it can be frozen for 4-6 weeks.