If you want to make something that is going to satisfy sweet and savory in one fail swoop, this meal is the ticket! Earlier in the day we made fresh homemade sourdough bread which added an extra flavor boost to this meal. Oh so good! The sweetness of the barbecued jackfruit blends perfectly with the creaminess of the slaw. These two flavor combinations work so well together it really is like magic in your mouth! This meal is perfect for when you have a little extra time on your hands. So go grab some jackfruit and barbecue sauce and let’s make this sandwich that will leave your taste buds wanting more!
2 20 oz cans jackfruit (I used Aroy D)
1 jar barbecue sauce (I used Stubb’s Sticky Sweet)
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 medium shredded carrot
1 small apple sliced into thin strips (I used honey crisp)
1 cup soaked cashews
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp pickle juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Drain and rinse both cans of jackfruit. In a bowl shred the jackfruit with your fingers. Add 3/4c barbeque sauce to jackfruit and toss to coat.
3. Place barbecued jackfruit on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or tinfoil. Bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add 1/4c more barbecue sauce to coat the jackfruit. Bake for 10 more minutes or until desired texture. (You can always bake it a little longer to crisp up the jackfruit)
4. Meanwhile, add all slaw ingredients except veggies and apple to a blender. Blend until smooth. You may need to add more water to get to desired consistency.
5. Place shredded veggies and sliced apples into a mixing bowl. Add blended slaw sauce and toss to coat.
6. Assembly time!
I used fresh sourdough bread but feel free to use whatever sandwich bread of your choosing. Place garnishes of choice on top of sandwich. I used cilantro and it was delicious! In the picture I have the slaw off to the side but adding the slaw to the sandwich is a necessary step! The flavor profile is unheard of when these two are mixed. This open faced sandwich was sure a mess but a delicious mess it was!